Wednesday, February 22, 2012

feb 22nd, 2012.. my life right now.. Update#1

Just thought I would give an update for the people who don't know me personally.

Things are amazing ever since I've been clean.. I graduated, and did the best in the class, I have a wonderful family, who I love deeply. I have great friends who have always been there for me and always will!
And I have the best girlfriend a guy could ask for, who supports me all the way, and belives in me, and my dreams. I love her more than anything in the world.

Today, I was asked by someone through addictions services to be part of a focus group on opiate abuse.. and ways to stop it, and help people who are already addicted.

It's still in it's start up stage, so it's going to be a Little while... I'll know more in March when I meet with her.

I was also asked to speak at a doctors conference in April, with doctors from around our region, as well as police officers..

It's about how people con doctors into giving them painkillers or other abuseable prescription drugs..
I've been there.. and I know all the tricks of the trade. So she knows I'd be a big help there.
So now they can keep an eye out for people like the old me. Who knew every trick in the book to get a prescription.. the lies to tell, the ways to fake pain.. and it happens WAY too much.

I'm also meeting with another person who works at a school, and wants me to help come up with ideas on what we can do, programs we can change.. and some other ideas I have floating around.

I meet with her either tomorrow afternoon, or Friday afternoon..

I've been speaking with people from admissions at NBCC; For the human services program.. I'm waiting to hear back if I can still get in with my criminal record..

My goals and dreams are to either become a youth councilor or an addictions councilor.

I know this is my destiny... Everything happens for a reason, and I really think I would make one of the best councilors there is.. I've been there.. and beat it..

Thanks for reading guys!

I'm also going on a hiking trip in Clairimont and staying the night in the woods with my older brother and my older cousin.. I'll start posting updates once in a while.. the next one will have the  title update#2... keep your eye out for it in the next couple of weeks!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Neil,
    You probably remember me as Codi Hatfield's mom, and that I worked at Tim Horton's when you were in high school. Codi is here with me at home and mentioned that you have this blog and how you have changed your life around. First I want to say how impressed I am with the work you are doing now, giving of your time and experience to help others. Secondly, the positive lifestyle you've chosen will serve to open doors that you never even dreamed of. Now, let me just tell you a bit about why I'm writing here. Just today I was in contact with a man named Rory Butler who is president and operator of a national website called Your Life Counts. I became acquainted with him through a live chat on CTV about depression and he directed me to his site to explore the incidence of youth who are experiencing depression and often suicidal thoughts. I won't go into any more detail except to say that I will be working with him and the organization in this area to help youth at risk. Would you be interested in coming on board as right now I'm in the very beginning stages of getting set up in the schools? If so you can drop me a note on my email lynneblack10@hotmail.ca or add me on facebook. I think this is no coincidence as that's how my life is unfolding and it looks like yours is too. Hope we can talk soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neil, Ive been putting off reading these since you started them and Im so sorry I did, you've accomplished so much since becoming clean and have grown up so much. There's no greater feeling then seeing hard work pay off, and hats off to you buddy ! Keep up the good work man, you've always been a great friend and I don't doubt for a second that you will amount to great things ! :)

    ReplyDelete