Monday, March 5, 2012

The Choices Program... (Part-1)




Now, lets fast  forward a little bit.. In order to get into the choices program I needed a referral from an addictions counselor.. I ended up changing mine a few weeks back, because her and me weren't seeing eye to eye on some things.. Remember,  I was just a stubborn kid...  
My new drug counselor was an amazing man by the name of John Rossong.. John did everything he could to help me.. and I needed to become clean in order to be accepted into the choices program..

I went to detox, pretty much finished it, then came out.. and that time, I didn't bring any of the drugs I had stashed.. I wanted to be clean, and accepted into this program..

So I wasn't using for a while.. I had some drugs stashed away.. but I had them hidden in reallly hard spots to find.. Walkmans taken apart and drugs shoved in... they still worked. So no one would think to look in there..

Anyway, I went to meet with john, and he was telling me about Choices and how wonderful of a program that it was.. they have everything, a music room, pool tables, fooz-ball tables.. Darts, a swimming pool... We go on activities, they have a great cook who makes their own meals.. You don't miss anytime in school, because they have teachers there.. plus small classroom sizes..

If your child is struggling with drugs, and doing poorly with school... If they hangout with a group of kids who you see as "Bad" then this is the best option for them. This program was amazing when I was there.. but I got kicked out once for something I didn't do... and help a little grudge.. they let me come back in a second time.. and  was gone in 1 day...

Anyway.. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions about the program..
My email is neilcalder1@gmail.com.. Others have found it by hovering over my name, or visiting my page..
So if you are a parents of an addict, please email me, and I can give you lots of advice on how to help your child stop what he's going through.. it may take a while for my response, but no more than a day.

I've already had a few parents email me, and I've had young addicts email me... I love offering advice and ways to help others through this.. so don't feel weird emailing me. I won't judge anyone.. I'm not that type of person... and I NEVER judge a person by the worst thing they've done. That gets you no where in life.

So it was all set.. I was heading for choices..

I called a guy I knew, and told them to go to the back of the store, pick up 4 cartons, and bring me 4 12's and leave them at the front of my house beside the step.. he promised he would..
I was leaving my other stash of drugs at home... I wanted to see this program through, and see if it actually works and if it's really as helpful as people say it is..

I wanted to bring 4 12's just in case it was a bad place, and I needed to get high once in a while while I was there..

So when I went to look... they weren't there...
I called him a few days after he got there and gave me some sob story about how he got ripped off, and blah blah blah... I gave him 4 12's for doing it, and he ripped me off and kept all 8 of them..

Which, ended up being a good thing..

Mom and dad were driving me down there.. they bought me smokes, and everything I needed.. gave me some money.. and bought me take out on our drive up there.. I had to be there for 10 in the morning I think..

We drove, and had great talks... talks about how I was actually going to change.. and make a better life for myself... I meant it at this time.. I really did..

When we finally got there, I finished a smoke.. and that's when they told me it was a smoke free environment.. "oh fuck" I thought..
I asked if I could go for one last smoke before going into the building... and mom said "you just had one 10 minutes ago.

So I didn't even get my last smoke..

I went into the building and up to the 3rd or 4th floor of the hospital (They changed their location many times. The picture I cropped above is their new address for people who need it. )

I walked in, and met some of the guys... they were all great guys and girls.. All the staff were amazing up-beat people.. this seemed like such an awesome spot.. Maybe I could get clean here...

They asked us for a urine sample.. but they told me it wasn't for drugs.. but I was clean then, so it didn't matter.

Anyway, they had a music room, and a giant kitchen... They asked us what we wanted to eat ... and would buy us the stuff we liked. It was really awesome how they had this place set up.. The food was amazing..

They had a pool, they took us swimming all the time, and took us out to do lots of other fun activities.. but i'll get into that in my next post.. "Part 2"

This is a wonderful program, and I recommend it to any youth who is having a hard time with drugs.. It's sad there's not more of these centers for people of all ages.. there is some, but none come close to the structure, and respect you get from choices.. I really believe if I had of tried harder to stay on my second trip, I might not be where I am today...


I'm sick with a flu bug, so I'm sorry if it's a short post... I'll post something later this afternoon.. and it's going to be a much better post, and explain choices in more detail..

Again, My e-mail is: neilcalder1@gmail.com
PLEASE don't be afraid to email me.. I'll answer any questions you have.

-Thanks again

-Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment