Monday, March 5, 2012

Choices (Part 2)




I got there, and met all the clients.. They were all pretty decent guys.
I got a long with one kid named Dave really well..

When you first get there, you're not allowed to go on walks for a week.. After that, you're allowed to go on walks with one other guy from there..

They have two housing areas... One for females, and one for males.
This was in the same area, just in separate hallways..

While I was there, I learned a lot... I went to school, we went on walks.. it was awesome.
There was a full music room, with every instrument there, and they wanted to put a band together to play a show while I was there.. it would have happened.. but I got kicked out after a while..

The staff there are very caring, and they really focus on healing, and finding better ways to fill your time.
We did everything while I was there..

We'd go swimming at least once a week... we'd work out every day, we'd go to a huge gym and play many different sports.. from soccer, to hockey.. basketball to handball.. it was a great time.

They took us to a mini-golf and arcade place.. they took us to see movies.
We'd go on a trip once or twice a week. We would go swimming at the sportsplex, and a few other places..
We could do whatever we wanted to while we were out... shopping, pizza, anything,

We would play pool, go to meetings to learn about addiction, help out in the kitchen... We even went rock climbing once. They will get you into boxing programs, and anything to fill your time.
During the week, it's very structured, you have to go to school, do assignments, and homework.. we would come back for lunch, then go back to school... we would always go for a walk along the shore, and it has such a great atmosphere.

The phone number of choices, located in Halifax Nova Scotia is (902) 446-4110 if you have any questions call them, or email me. neilcalder1@gmail.com
I am in no way affiliated with them, but I can answer some general questions about my experience if you would like.
I recommend this place to any youth who were having a hard time with substance abuse issues.. They also cater to people with mental health issues I'm told. This is a wonderful program.. and I really wish I could have made the best of it.. but I didn't..

I was in the bathroom one day, there was three of us in there... and one kid was getting mad and kicked the bathroom stall door a few times and broke it..

Now me and the other guy were leaving, because we didn't want to get in trouble.. but before we got out of the door one of the workers stopped us. They grabbed the guy who did it.. and sat us all down..
I told them I had nothing to do with it.. they asked me who it was and I wouldn't tell them.

They asked all three of us.. and everyone said they didn't do it. And wouldn't say who did it..

I wish the kid would have owned up to it.. but he wouldn't..

They had a few meetings, and they all agreed that we should all be kicked out of the program.. but we were allowed back after a week..

I was mad.. I felt so offended... I didn't do anything, and I was being punished for not telling on someone..
it was ridiculous..

So they dropped us off at the bus station, and bought us each a bus pass..
me and another guy-who actually didn't break the door- started talking...
The Juno awards show was going on that night.. it was a free outdoor concert..

We sold our bus tickets.. and we took off..

This seemed like such a great idea at first... but it turns out, it wasn't..

I'll write about that tomorrow.. it ended very badly.. and it was a messed up time in my life.

Thanks for reading.

-Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment