Monday, March 12, 2012

Charitable Addict

I was always short on money.. and I would come up with many ideas to stay high..
This meant stealing, and being manipulative..

I've exhausted most of my resources by this point.. I remember I woke up one morning and only had one 8 left.
At this point I needed at least 2 just so I wouldn't be sick.
I remember I went to my parents freezer, and took some expensive meats, and traded them to Marcus for 2 24mg capsules.

I came home and snorted the 8mg pill and a 24mg capsule... I was feeling pretty high.. and decided to go on the computer.. I can't remember what site I went on, but it was asking for donations..
This gave me an idea... People always donate money, and they never ask questions.. it seemed too easy.

I contacted a charity in halifax, and told them I'd be canvasing for them. I made my own donation sheets, receipts and made them look professional.. I copied their logo and everything when I made the sheets on my parents good printer.

Now, growing up.. I used to be in cadets, and did a lot of charity work for UNICEF, the heart and stroke foundation, cancer research and the I.W.K,
So, when I went door to door, people didn't really think it was a scam.

I dressed up as nice as I could, and even had a tie on. I got a folder, and made a sealed can. I also had a deposit bag, and a ledger to make receipts.
I wrote what I was going to say down..
"Hello sir/mam. My name is Neil Calder.. I'm canvasing on behalf of __________ and we could really use your support.. did you know that 75% of your donation goes towards.... "

I practiced this in the mirror over and over... once I had it down pact, I headed out to my neighborhood..
I remember I didn't even make it around the block, and I made $50.00.
I went right to Marcus's once I had enough for a 30mg pills... went home, snorted it... and went back out.

That first day, I made over 250 dollars..
I bought a stamp, and mailed the charity 50 dollars..
When I intoduced myself.. I really should have said " Do you know that 80% of your donation goes to me? and my drug habit? Thanks for your continued support!"

Thinking back on this, I feel a lot of guilt.. at the time, I sent a small precentage to the chairty to ease my mind about what I was doing.
I thought I was on to something.

I skipped so much school to get high... I used to make great marks.. but school really didn't seem important to me. I would use my intelagance to fund my drug habit, and come up with sneaky ways to obtain drugs.
If I had of put half of my effort into studying and school, I would probably be in university right now.

I regret every bad thing I did.. and I still have amends to make.. that's why I'm using my free time to give back to this world. I took and took for so many years, that it's time for me to make up for what I did.

Now, I would love to tell you I got caught right away and got in trouble for my actions.. but the truth it I didn't for a while. I did this quite a few times..

Sorry to cut this short, but I'm applying for jobs and working on my resume.

I'll write another one later today. Thanks for reading guys!

2 comments:

  1. if you actually feel bad then you will send th charity ATLEAST the amount that you actually took from people. saying you regret it doesn't go very far, especially for the people who gave you their money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I have donated a lot back to the same charities and will continue to do so.
      I have a list of amends to make and I've got a lot of them scratched off, and I'm not going to stop until it's done.

      Delete